How to Apply for an Owner Builder's Licence

In Victoria, building works can be carried out by a Registered Builder or as an Owner Builder. An owner-builder is someone who takes responsibility for domestic building work carried out on their own land. They are not necessarily the person who physically does the work.

If the value of your proposed domestic building work is more than $16,000 (including labour costs and materials) you will need to apply for a certificate of consent from the VBA to become an owner-builder.

The certificate of consent enables you to obtain a building permit and carry out domestic building work as an owner-builder on your land.

In deciding whether to issue a certificate, the VBA will consider, amongst other things, whether the applicant:

  • intends to live in the property upon completion of the building work;
  • owns or co-owns land for which a building permit has been granted in respect of an owner-builder project in the past 5 years; and
  • has the prescribed knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an owner-builder.

To apply for a certificate of consent you must pay a fee of $99.71. This fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application.

STEP 1 – the eLearning assessment

After reading the Owner-Builder Study Guide and deciding that being an owner-builder is something you would like to do, you (as the main applicant) must complete an eLearning assessment before you can submit your application for a certificate of consent to become an owner-builder.
Evidence of successfully completing the eLearning assessment (by the main applicant) must be submitted with your application.

Note: The main applicant is the person required to undertake the eLearning assessment and provide the evidence to the VBA at the time of submitting an owner-builder application. The VBA will not accept evidence of the eLearning assessment by the co- owner to an owner-builder application.

STEP 2 - White Card (Construction Induction Training)

When you undertake construction at your property, your domestic premises become a ‘workplace’ for the purposes of Occupational Health and Safety legislation. For this reason, you will be required to complete 'Construction Induction Training' to demonstrate the requisite knowledge in respect of site and worker safety.
Construction Induction Training must be undehrtaken through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). For a list of recognised RTOs who can offer this training in Victoria, visit Worksafe Victoria.
To be able to apply for an owner-builder certificate of consent from the VBA, an applicant will be required to submit evidence, a copy of both sides, of their current Construction Induction card, within the meaning of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007 (Vic), also referred to as a WorkSafe Victoria white card. The VBA will accept a current Construction Induction card issued by an equivalent Worksafe counterpart.
The VBA will not accept any statement of attainment as evidence of having completed Construction Induction training.

STEP 3 – The online Application

If you are eligible to apply for an Owner-builder certificate of consent, the documentation you may be required to provide (depending upon your individual circumstances) could include:

  • Proof of Identity – Photo ID, e.g. driver's licence, passport.
  • Proof of Change of Name – e.g. Marriage Certificate, change of name by deed poll evidence
  • A copy of your WorkSafe Victoria-issued “White Card”, or a Construction Induction card issued by a WorkSafe counterpart, if applicable
  • Proof of Ownership (Certificate of Title) – A Registered Search Statement (RSS) or Certificate of Title, produced within 7 days of the submission of application. If you need to obtain an updated RSS, you can order your Register Search Statement online at
  • Co- Owners Permission: If the land is privately owned by the applicant and co-owners: If the applicant co-owns the land, a written statement in the form of a Statutory Declaration from each owner, stating that each owner authorises the making of the application dated within 28 days of the date the application is submitted. Download a blank Statutory Declaration form.
  • For Companies & Body Corporates: If the land is owned by a Company/Body Corporate: a copy of a record of a current company extract from ASIC, dated within 7 days of the date the application is submitted, a written authorisation from the Directors of the body corporate to the making of the application and carrying out of the work dated within 28 days of the date the application is submitted.
  • For Trusts: If the land is owned by a Trust: a certified copy of the trust deed – together with any subsequent amendments – showing the name of the trust, the name of each trustee and the name of each beneficiary certified within 28 days of the date the application is submitted, written authority of the trustee(s) attesting to the trustee's (or trustees') authorisation that the beneficiary of the trust may make this application and carry out the work. This must be signed and dated within 28 days of the date the application is submitted.
  • Plans & Permits: If applicable, site plan, building plan, floor plan, planning permit.
  • eLearning Certificate: Proof of successfully completing the eLearning assessment (by the main applicant).

IMPORTANT: If the above evidence is not submitted with your application, you will not be permitted to act as an owner-builder and your application will be refused.

Note: A valid credit or debit card is required to complete your application.

STEP 4 – Wait for your Owner Builder’s Certificate of Consent

It will take approximately 21 calendar days to process an application for a certificate of consent if all the required information is provided. If you do not provide all the required evidence with your application, your application will be refused.
You can submit, manage and track your owner-builder application via your VBA360 account.
Login to VBA360
Different stages include:

  • Allocation: Your application has been received and is waiting to be assessed.
  • Assessment: Your application is being assessed and considered by an owner builder officer.
  • Recommendation: The owner builder officer has finished assessing your application and has made their recommendation to the manager.
  • Decision: Your application is with the OB manager and is awaiting their final review. This is the last stage of the application process and means you will have a response soon.

The VBA will contact you via email should further information be required. Further information can be supplied by logging in to your VBA360 account.
Log in here

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please be aware that if you submitted your application before the 31st of July, you will not be able to track your application in VBA360. Please call 1300 815 127.


Buy Direct & Save!

We are an independent manufacturer and installer of prefabricated buildings, not just an agency or franchise outlet. Cut out the middle men!

To discuss your upcoming project, call us on (03) 9360 0022